In 2013, Orthodontist Dr. Dave Pechersky was treating his own teeth with clear aligners, which are a transparent, plastic form of dental braces used to adjust teeth. Like many users, including his own patients, Dr. Dave used a rubber chewie to help eliminate air pockets between his aligner tray and teeth, which optimizes tooth movement during orthodontic therapy. Chewing exercises can also increase blood flow, thereby reducing discomfort.
But Dr. Dave gagged on the chewie and didn’t feel comfortable using it. He found it was like having a miniature “pool noodle” in his mouth. And, since he used the same chewie twice a day for a couple weeks, it began to smell and was not sanitary. Dave decided to carve the chewie in different ways to see if it helped with the gagging – it did not. So, he began experimenting in his office lab with dissolvable products, including candy and mints. He found the best result came from cutting grooves into mints that could sit between the teeth in the front of the mouth and not slip. He also liked that mints could provide a breath-freshening mechanism.
Excited about the mint concept, Dr. Dave connected with good friend Drew Goldstein, a strategic start-up business consultant, and the duo quickly began working together to bring the idea to fruition. They filed for Movemints, LLC in 2014. During the next few years, Dr. Dave and Drew were deep in R&D, perfecting the mint functionality, flavor, and shape. As part of this process, the team worked with Pittsburgh-based artist Isaac Bower to sculpt the mint’s concave design so that the grooves would be deep enough—on all sides—to prevent slipping out no matter where it is placed. During this time, the duo also received three patents for Movemints’ shape and utility.
With patents in hand and proof of concept achieved, Dr. Dave and Drew brought Frank McNally onto the team to help take their product to market and to establish their digital footprint. The trio raised broader awareness for Movemints amongst aligner patients through social media and an expanded online presence. They selected a manufacturer, and in 2018, the company commercially launched its sugar-free Movemints in May at the American Academy of Orthodontists’ Annual Session in Washington, D.C.
As Movemints are the only edible accessory ever created for clear aligners, adoption from dentists and orthodontists for their patients quickly grew. Movemints became an innovative treatment for enabling gentle chewing, which promotes optimal tooth movement as well as helps patients seat their trays, resulting in a better fit.
In 2019, SmileDirectClub, a leading provider of clear aligners, partnered with Movemints to cobrand the mints for the SmileDirectClub patient base. In 2020, SmileDirectClub started including samples of Movemints with every clear aligner patient shipment.
Today, Movemints continue to provide a breakthrough treatment option and a better way to manage the clear aligner journey. They keep breath fresh and are sweetened with a therapeutic dose of xylitol, which eliminates dry mouth. They help clear aligner patients continue to find relief from the traditional challenges that impact their progress.
Movemints are sold to dentists, orthodontists and directly to patients through the DentalMovemints.com website as well as Amazon.com. They are compatible with Invisalign, Spark, Byte, Clear Correct, 3M Clarity aligners and other clear aligners. The company has shipped more than 15 million mints to customers in more than 40 countries and continues to experience a 30% year-over-year increase in mint distribution volume and international expansion. Based in Pittsburgh, Movemints has 18 team members comprised of employees and an ecosystem of consultants and interns.
Years (and counting)
- Movemints, LLC was founded in 2014 by Dr. David Pechersky and Drew Goldstein in Pittsburgh, PA. During the next few years, Dr. Dave and Drew were deep in R&D, perfecting the mint functionality, flavor, and shape.
- From 2014 to 2018, Movemints was awarded three patents for the sugar-free mint’s shape and utility.
- In May 2018, the company commercially launched Movemints at the American Academy of Orthodontists’ Annual Session in Washington, D.C.
- Movemints are the first and only edible clear aligner accessory available for patients. They promote optimal tooth movement and are sweetened with a therapeutic dose of xylitol to fight dry mouth and provide a nice break from only water. They also provide a minty taste that freshens breath.
- Manufactured in Switzerland, Movemints are comprised of five ingredients - Xylitol, Sorbitol, natural spearmint flavoring, natural mint flavoring and Magnesium Stearate.
- Movemints are sold to dentists, orthodontists and directly to patients through the dentalmovemints.com website as well as Amazon.com.
- Movemints has delivered more than 15 million individual mints to customers in more than 40 countries while achieving an “Amazon’s Choice” designation as a Top 100 Best Sellers Rank in the very competitive Candy/Mints category.
- Movemints continues to grow, and the company is experiencing a more than 30% year-over-year increase in mint distribution volume and international expansion.
- With a strong background in orthodontia, the company leadership publishes a monthly blog with education articles for clear aligner users. The blog receives 10,000 to 30,000 unique visitors a month.
- The company remains based in Pittsburgh and has 18 team members comprised of employees and an ecosystem of consultants and interns.
Dr. Dave Pechersky
Founder and CEO of Movemints, LLC
Dr. Dave Pechersky is the Founder and Chief Executive Officer of Movemints, LLC. An orthodontist, Dr. Dave invented the company’s sugar-free mints as a breakthrough treatment to promote optimal oral health and tooth movement after treating his own teeth with clear aligners. Movemints are the only edible accessory ever created for clear aligner patients. Under Dr. Dave’s leadership and that of his co-founder Drew Goldstein, the company has shipped more than 15 million Movemints to individuals in more than 40 countries. The company continues to experience a more than a 30% year-over-year increase in mint distribution volume and international expansion.
Dr. Dave remains a practicing orthodontist at Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania-based Pechersky Orthodontics, where he’s been since 2011. He leads the multi-location orthodontics practice and treats patients of all ages with braces and clear aligners. He received his specialty training in Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics from Tufts University School of Dental Medicine in 2011.
He received his Doctor of Dental Medicine in 2009 from the University of Pittsburgh and a BS from the University of Michigan in 2005.
Drew Goldstein is the Chief Operating Officer for Movemints, LLC, where he is responsible for the company’s day-to-day operations and creation of policies and strategies to ensure company profitability and growth. Under Drew’s leadership and that of co-founder, mint creator, and company Chief Executive Officer Dr. Dave Pechersky, the company has shipped more than 15 million Movemints to dentists, orthodontists, and patients in more than 40 countries. Movemints continues to experience more than a 30% year-over-year increase in mint distribution volume and international expansion.
Drew is described as a “serial social entrepreneur,” startup consultant and executive coach. In addition to his role at Movemints, he is the Principal of the RoundSquare Group, a member of NEXUS Global, and a strategic advisor and sponsor to Lost Tribe. Previously, Drew served as the Chief Development Officer for The Packard Companies, and prior to that role, he was the Vice President of Operations for Pristine Properties. Drew began his career at Black & Decker USA in sales and marketing.
In 2013, Drew received his JD and his MBA from the University of Pittsburgh. He received a B.S. in Business Administration from Indiana University in 1999.